Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions – Capricornia Business Awards 2017 (‘promotion’).
- The Promoter is Capricornia Newspapers Pty Ltd (ABN 48 009 658 048), 220 Bolsover Street, Rockhampton Queensland 4700. Telephone number: (07) 49 304 222.
- Information on how to nominate and prizes forms part of the terms of nomination. Nomination by readers in the competition is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- If there is any inconsistency between these Terms and Conditions and anything else that refers to this competition, these Terms and Conditions will prevail.
- The nomination website will be administered by Almost Anything Web & Graphic Design, ABN 75 754 885 505, for the purposes of collecting nominations only. The information will not be used by Almost Anything Web & Graphic Design for any other purpose apart from collecting the information from Nominees for the Capricorn Business Awards 2017.
- Nominee information will be utilised by the judging panel to select winners in each category of the Capricornia Business Awards and for no other purpose.
Who Can Enter
- Nomination is open to permanent business owners with a current registered business and ABN of Queensland who reside in The Morning Bulletin newspaper distribution area; Livingstone Shire Council and Rockhampton Regional Council areas; except employees and immediate families of the Promoter and their associated companies and agencies.
- Immediate family includes the following: spouse, ex-spouse, defacto spouse, child or step child (whether natural or by adoption), parent, step parent, grandparent, step grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step brother, step sister or first cousin.
- Entrants must be 18 years of age and older to be eligible to enter.
- The Promoter reserves the right to request winners to provide proof of identity and proof of residency at the nominated prize delivery address (where required) and/or proof of entry validity or proof of registration ownership to claim a prize. Proof of identification, residency and entry considered suitable for verification is at the discretion of the Promoter. If a winner cannot provide suitable proof, the winner will forfeit the prize in whole and no substitute will be offered.
When To Enter
- The competition nominations commence on Saturday August 19, 2017 at 6:00am AEST and concludes Friday September 15, 2017 at 5:00pm AEST. Nominations must be received by the Promoter prior to the competition close date and time.
- Nominations for the People’s Choice category only will close Friday September 8, 2017 with businesses having received four or more nominations then to be listed for public vote on capricorniabusinessawards.com.au between Monday September 18, 2017 and Friday September 29, 2017.
- The time of nomination will in each case be the time the nomination is received by the Promoter, not the time the nomination is submitted by the nominee.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any late, lost or misdirected entries.
How To Enter
- The details of how business can nominate are set out in The Morning Bulletin newspaper, cover dates Saturday August 19, 2017 to Friday October 6, 2017.
- Business can nominate by going online at capricorniabusinessawards.com.au and completing the online nomination form.
- Nominees will be required to complete details on the nomination form such as (but not limited to) Nominee’s name, Address, Email, Telephone, Business Name and ABN.
- Each nomination form must be the work of the nominee.
- Nominees are required to take full responsibility for the content of their nomination and for ensuring that their nomination complies with these terms and conditions. For the purposes of these content requirements, “nomination content” includes any content (including text, photos, videos and email messages) that readers submit, upload, transmit, publish, communicate or use in connection with their nomination in the Promotion.
- Nominations must be the nominee’s original work. The Promoter reserves the right to verify, or to require the reader to verify, that the nomination is the reader’s original work. If a nomination cannot be verified to the Promoter’s satisfaction, the nomination will be deemed invalid. The Promoter may, in its absolute discretion, edit, modify, delete, remove or take-down any part of a reader’s nomination. A reader’s nomination must not include:
- any image or voice of any other person without that person’s express consent. Entrants warrant that if any such content is included, they have obtained the express consent of the relevant person;
- any content that contravenes any law, infringes the rights of any person or is potentially insulting, inflammatory, defamatory, obscene, offensive, discriminatory, indecent or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate (which includes, without limitation, any content involving nudity, malice, excessive violence or swearing); and
- any literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, any audio-visual or sound recording, or any other item in which copyright subsists, unless the entrant is entitled to do so. If an entrant has any doubts about whether they have the right to include any content (for example, recorded music) they must not include it. By including any such content in their entry, the entrant warrants that they have the permission of the relevant copyright owner to do so and that this permission allows the Promoter to use the entry in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify a winner if Promoter becomes aware that the winner and/or the winner’s entry is of a type described in this clause.
- Any entry that is made on behalf of an entrant by a third party will be invalid, unless the entrant requires the assistance of a third party to enter due to a disability.
- The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who tampers with the entry process, who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these terms and conditions or who has, in the opinion of Promoter, engaged in conduct in entering the Promotion which is fraudulent, misleading, deceptive or generally damaging to the goodwill or reputation of the Promotion and/or Promoter. This includes, but not limited, to entrants and households using multiple email addresses, postal addresses, PO Box addresses or SIM cards to register single or multiple purchases.
Number of Entries permitted
- Nominate once in each category listed at Clause 20. There is only one (1) winner per category in the Capricornia Business Awards 2017.
Categories open to nomination
- The categories outlined in the following list are open for business to nominate their business:
- Best New Business
- Best Community Supporter
- Best Small Business
- Best Micro Business
- Best National/International Export of Local Products and Services
- Most Innovative Business
- Best Staff Development
- Best Customer Service
- Best Tourism, Arts and Culture
- Best Young Entrepreneur
- The winner of the Best Business Of The Year category will be selected by judges and cannot be nominated by businesses.
- The winner in the People’s Choice category winner will selected by public vote with the winner being the business with most votes received.
Judging and Notification of winner
- Judging will take place via a set criteria including questions and the responses along with judging criteria suitable to the category the business has been nominated in.
- The criteria are set and is available for viewing by potential Nominees at capricorniabusinessawards.com.au, scoring the nominated business by this set criteria. The questions are listed on the nomination forms under each category.
- A list of the judging panel may be viewed at capricorniabusinessawards.com.au
- The businesses selected by the judges as the winners in each category will be announced at the Awards night on Friday November 3, 2017 at the Rockhampton Leagues Club.
- Prizes will be awarded to the winners at the Awards night.
- If any draw is scheduled on a public holiday, the draw will be conducted on the following business day.
- The Promoter’s decision is final and the Promoter will not enter in to correspondence regarding the competition result or any other decisions the Promoter makes about the Promotion.
- Details of the winners will be published in The Morning Bulletin during the week commencing November 6, 2017.
- Prizes will be awarded to the business named in the entry.
- Should an entrant’s contact details change during the promotional period, it is the entrant’s responsibility to notify the Promoter. A request to access or modify any information provided in an entry should be directed to the Promoter (see Clause 1).
Prizes on offer
- Individual prize value is up to $200.00 (including GST). Total prize pool value is $2400. The business winners will receive the following prizes:
- What are the prizes for the overall winner and each category winner will receive a trophy and certificate at the Presentation Awards Dinner.
- Unless otherwise expressly stated, prize values are based upon the recommended retail prices at the time of first publication of these Terms and Conditions (inclusive of GST). The Promoter accepts no responsibility for change in prize value between now and the ultimate prize redemption date.
- Independent financial advice should be sought as tax implications may arise because of accepting the prize.
- Prizes cannot be transferred, exchanged or redeemed for cash.
- It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner must comply with all the conditions of use of the prize and the prize supplier’s requirements. It is the responsibility of the winner to confirm such conditions with the prize supplier or other relevant third parties.
- It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner may be required to sign a legal release in a form determined by the Promoter in its absolute discretion.
- All entrants agree that if they win the prize, they will not, and their companions will not, sell or otherwise provide their story and/or photographs to any media or another organisation, including the internet. Photographs will be allowed only at the discretion of the Promoter.
Further Terms and Conditions
- Subject to complying with all relevant State and Territory legislation, the Promoter reserves the right to amend, cancel or suspend this competition if an event beyond the control of the Promoter corrupts or affect the administration security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the competition. The Promoter will disqualify any individual who has tampered with the entry process or any other aspect of this competition.
- The Promoter and their associated agencies and companies assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to, or alteration of entries, and reserves the right to take any action that may be available.
- If for any reason this competition is not capable of running as planned, including (without limitation) due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any causes beyond the control of the Promoter, the Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to take any action that may be available, and (without limitation) to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition, subject to any direction given under State Regulation.
- Entrants are responsible for any cost associated with accessing the promotional website. Access to that site is dependent on the Internet service provider.
- Any entrant found to be using any form of software or third party application to enter multiple times (including scripting software) will have all entries invalidated and any claim to any prize will be invalidated. If such an entrant is awarded a prize and then found to have breached this clause, the entrant must immediately return any awarded prize to the Promoter. The Promoter has sole discretion to determine if this clause has been breached by any entrant. The Promoter reserves the right to request whatever documentation it deems necessary to confirm if the entrant has breached this clause. An entrant must provide any requested documentation to the Promoter upon request.
- An entrant may not use a third party (including online competition entry site) to enter on their behalf, except where the entrant needs to use those services of that third party to enter due to a disability. If the preceding sentence has been breached, the entrant will have all entries invalidated, any claim to any prize will be invalidated and where such an entrant has already been awarded a prize before being found to have breached this clause, the entrant must immediately return any awarded prize to the Promoter. The Promoter has sole discretion to determine if this clause has been breached by any entrant. The Promoter reserves the right to request whatever documentation it deems necessary to confirm if the entrant has breached this clause. An entrant must provide any requested documentation to the Promoter upon request.
- If the prize is unavailable, for whatever reason, the Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize for a prize of equal or greater value, subject to State and Territory legislation. It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner must comply with all the conditions of use of the prize and prize supplier’s requirements. Each prize must be taken as stated and no compensation will be payable if a winner is unable to use the prize as stated.
- The Promoter will make reasonable efforts to deliver prizes to the addresses provided by competition entrants (where specified). If a prize is returned to the Promoter because it could not be delivered to the address provided, the Promoter cannot guarantee that it will be able to resend the prize to the prize winner. The Promoter and its associated agencies and companies will not be liable for any damage to or delay in transit of prizes.
- The Promoter reserves the right to redraw the prize if an entrant who claims to be a prize winner is unable to satisfy these terms and conditions.
Copyright, Statutory guarantees, Waiver and liability
- In consideration for the Promoter awarding the prize to the winner, the winner hereby permits the winner’s submission, image and/or voice, as recorded, photographed or filmed during the winner’s participation in the prize to appear in connection with the Promoter or News Limited publications or the advertising or marketing thereof, in any media whatsoever throughout the world and the winner will not be entitled to any fee for such use.
- In the case of the intervention of any outside act, agent or event which prevents or significantly hinders the Promoter’s ability to proceed with the competition on the dates and in the manner described in these terms and conditions, including but not limited to vandalism, power failures, tempests, natural disasters, acts of God, civil unrest, strike, war, act of terrorism, the Promoter may in its absolute discretion cancel the competition and recommence it from the start on the same conditions, subject to any directions given under State Regulation.
- The Promoter does not exclude any rights and remedies in respect of goods or services under the Australian Consumer Law in the Competition and Consumer Act (2010) (Australian Consumer Law) which cannot be excluded, restricted or modified. However, the remainder of this clause will apply to the fullest extent permitted by law and the Promoter shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) or for any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with any prize/s except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
- The Promoter is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, either caused by entrant or for any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in this competition, or for any technical error, or any combination thereof that may occur in the course of the administration of this competition including any omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line or telephone, mobile or satellite network failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of entries.
- The Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who the Promoter has reason to believe has breached any of these conditions, or engaged in any unlawful or other improper misconduct calculated to jeopardise the fair and proper conduct of the promotion. The Promoter’s legal rights to recover damages or other compensation from such an offender are reserved.
- All entries become the property of The Promoter (with the exception of any intellectual property rights comprised therein). All opt-in entries may be entered in to a database and The Promoter may use the entrant’s names, addresses and telephone numbers for future promotional, marketing and publicity purposes in any media worldwide without notice and without any fee being paid unless otherwise advised by the entrant.
- By opting-in, entrants confirm that they allow their details to be used for this purpose. If any entrants no longer consent to their details being used for future marketing purposes, the entrant should contact The Promoter on their details set out in Clause 1. Any request to update, modify or delete the entrant’s details should be directed to The Promoter.
- The Promoter collects information about entrants, including for example their name and contact details which they provide when registering or using our services as well as information from data houses, social media services, our affiliates and other entities they deal or interact with for example by using their services.
- We may disclose your information to our related companies, including those located outside Australia. Any of us may contact an entrant for those purposes (including by email and SMS) at any time. We may also disclose an entrant’s information to our service and content providers, including those located outside Australia.
- If an entrant does not provide us with requested information we may not be able to provide them with the goods and services they require.
- We may disclose their personal information to authorities if they are a prize winner or otherwise as required by law.